Monday, November 28, 2011

In “Bartleby,” Melville writes, “I procured a high green folding screen, which might entirely isolate Bartleby from my sight, though not remove him from my voice. And this, in a manner, privacy and society were conjoined.”

  Privacy, a privilege or a right? I would like to believe we have the right to privacy. The right to choose what to keep to ourselves and what to share with the world. However, each day I start to think we have less and less privacy, the government knows more about us, and a person across the world had a technology to hack into our lives. 
 In “Bartleby,” Melville writes, “I procured a high green folding screen, which might entirely isolate Bartleby from my sight, though not remove him from my voice. And this, in a manner, privacy and society were conjoined.”I don't believe these two were meant to be conjoined, for as human beings we tend to shelter in privacy, find it comforting to keep secrets and keep to ourselves. In today's society however, these two are more and more conjoined. With the advancement of technology more and more ways to "share" things with the world exist. Society can be googled now, whats happening all across the world can be at your fingertips. The "voice" in todays society is the internet, as I pretty sure u can find anything and everything within it. Our green folding screen is our misperception that we are indeed private, but I this screen is getting smaller and smaller everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment