Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Difference between A&P in 1961 and 2011

The story of A & P by John Updike was first published in the New York on 1961, it is one of the Updike's most popular short stories and one I actually really enjoyed reading. The story takes place in a Boston A&P, a northeaster supermarket very popular in the 1960's and still around today. Sammy, the narrator is a young boy working at A& P but with hopes for a better future. When reading this story I found it difficult to find myself at a 1960's A&P, I was born in 1994, and haven't ever really researched supermarkets of the 1960's. However I can picture A&P in a more modern setting. Having no A&P in Miami I would set it place at perhaps Milams, a small super market in the small suburb of Miami Springs.Sammy would be the guy on register, perhaps listening to his iPod and praying time flashes by.Miami springs is a town close to the beach but not nearly close enough to have girls in bikinis.I think as soon as the three girls would walk in, the people first impression would be how unsanitary of them to walk around barefooted. A&P doesn't go into these mindless details, since its an ironic story about desire and about rebellion. Yet I think if it was set in 2011 it would. Still, I don't think the bathing suit wearing girls would cause as much commotion as they did in A&P. I believe the 1960's were  a bit more conservative than us in 2011. I think being barefoot would cause a bigger scene than the bathing suit tops. Nonetheless it would be frowned to walk around in two piece bathing suits no where near the beach. Another difference between an A&P set now and the original is that Sammy wouldn't have been manually inserting the prices into the register but rather scanning them with our modern technology. Perhaps this wouldn't have made Sammy angry at the beginning of the story from messing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment